The LIHEAP Performance Measures are indicators of the impact that LIHEAP has on recipient households. These measures can also provide information that can help grantees identify areas of program change to increase the impact of LIHEAP on households with the highest energy needs.
Section 2610(b)(2) of the LIHEAP statute requires the Department of Health and Human Services to report this information to Congress:
"The secretary shall, no later than June 30 of each fiscal year, submit a report to the Congress containing a detailed compilation of the data under subsection (a) with respect to the prior fiscal year, and a report that describes for the prior fiscal year the impact of each State's program on recipient and eligible households."
The four LIHEAP Performance Measures are:
- Benefit Targeting Index: The LIHEAP Benefit Targeting Index tells you whether, on average, the households with the highest energy needs are the ones that get the highest benefits.
- Burden Reduction Targeting Index: The LIHEAP Burden Reduction Targeting Index tells you whether, on average, the households with the highest energy needs are the ones that have the largest share of their bill reduced.
- Restoration of Home Energy Service: The Restoration of Home Energy Service Performance Measure tells you the number of times households lost energy service and had it restored by LIHEAP.
- Prevention of Loss of Home Energy Service: The Prevention of Loss of Home Energy Service Performance Measure tells you the number of times households would have lost energy service had they not received LIHEAP assistance.
The LIHEAP Performance Measures data are reported in module 2 of each grantee's annual LIHEAP Performance Data Form. As of FY 2016, reporting the Performance Measures data is required for all 50 state grantees and the District of Columbia.
Data must be reported each year for the previous Federal Fiscal Year (October 1 to September 30).
The following resources provide additional information on the Performance Measures reporting requirements:
- Forms and Instructions
Instructions to complete the Performance Data Form and resources to help verify data calculations.
- LIHEAP Action Transmittals
The Division of Energy Assistance issues Action Transmittals to communicate actions that LIHEAP grantees need to take concerning the program.
- Performance Management Webinars
View Webinars for more information about reporting Performance Measures.
Performance Measures data must be collected accurately in order to make a realistic assessment of your state's LIHEAP program. The following data are needed to accurately report your Performance Measures data.
- Client Information: This includes information on a client's main heating fuel type and their annual household income.
- LIHEAP Benefit: This is the total amount of LIHEAP Bill-Payment Assistance a client receives.
- Expenditure Data: This is the total amount a client spends for their main heating fuel bill and electric bill.
- Restoration Data: This provides information on the number of times LIHEAP restored service to clients who were unable to heat or cool their homes.
- Prevention Data: This provides information on the number of times LIHEAP prevented clients from losing home energy service.
Performance Measures Data Collection Guide - PDF Document
This guide provides more detailed instruction on how to accurately collect your Performance Measure data.
APPRISE has developed several resources and tools to help grantees report and understand their Performance Measures.
Check before You Submit Document - PDF Document
This document provides a list of items to check in Module 2 of your annual LIHEAP Performance Data Form to ensure that you have reported accurate data.
Step by Step Overview of the FY 2018 Performance Data Form Module 2 and Optional Module 3 - YouTube Video
This Webinar provides detailed instructions and guidance on each reporting item in the FY 2018 Performance Data Form Module 2 (Performance Measures).
Common Issues and Reminders for Completing the FY 2018 Performance Data Form Module 2 and Optional Model 3 - Youtube Video
This Webinar serves as a brief refresher of the main reporting nuances for the FY 2018 Performance Data Form Module 2 (Performance Measures).
LIHEAP Performance Data Form Excel Spreadsheet - Excel Spreadsheet
Grantees can enter their performance data in this Excel version of the LIHEAP Performance Data Form to ensure that grantees are calculating data correctly.